I have a tattered little piece of paper that decorates my fridge, and it's nothing fancy...really quite worn...but on it is written some of the best advice that I have ever given myself. It is called "10 Helpful Hints". The reason I keep it on my "fridge" is so that I may FOLLOW this advice that I have given to myself....And...I reminded everyday, several times a day, every time I open the fridge..."Follow Your Own Advice"...
It seems that the closer I follow these 10 little tips...Life flows a little easier, and the world seems a little brighter. The more I read them and keep these tips formost in my mind...I seem to be able to muster up more Hope in my heart, along with Courage and Strength.
I have found that in our Autism Spectrum Community, the struggle can be quite hard, and it can take a toll, physically, mentally, and emotionally. If we can muster up though, and be strong enough one day, while our fellow may be lacking on that very same day...we can pass along a "shoulder to lean on"...and maybe someone will provide a "shoulder" for us, on another day...when we may be stumbling... The point is, we are all on the same "crooked road"...and so just as I have been upbuilt by this tattered little slip of paper...I will pass it along...in the hopes that it may give someone else a boost.
Together...Let's move ahead...to "Accomplishment"....
By: Kimberly Larochelle
- Never give up on a cure.
- Read, read, and read some more everything on the subject…then keep what’s good, and discard what’s not…and keep a “not sure” file as well.
- Listen to your “Gut”…there is no one on this earth that loves this child as you do…or that knows this child better that you do…so “Arm” yourself with your own wisdom of your child, and become his or her best Advocate.
- If a therapist, doctor, teacher, ect…does not connect with your child…Find someone that does.
- If a therapy, or diet is not having successful results…stop…and find something that will bring success.
- Ask questions…lots of questions…and write them down, so that you can carry them with you when you go to your child’s doctors, therapist, ect…and if your questions are met with distain, sarcasm, or with a patronizing response…Find someone that will answer your questions with respect and dignity.
- When you feel like the world is caving in on you…take a Bubble Bath, a Long Walk…or anything to help you re-group to face the challenge again.
- Try to stay healthy yourself…this is hard as you may feel selfish about giving yourself any attention…so…just remember who you need to be healthy for…Your child... and they are depending on you…You cannot assist them very well if you get sick…
- Join a Support Group…and not just any support group. Make sure that you will be able to gather “purposeful” support from this group…and that it truly satisfies your need of support in both a practical, and in an emotional sense. Ask yourself, “What was I able to take away from this meeting?” Any tips or information, and maybe even play dates for my child, ect…not just a “Gripe Session”.
- Do not feel guilty that your child is in this situation, and do not plague yourself with the “What if’s” or the “If only I knew then what I know now”…and Do not look back with regret…just keep moving forward to Accomplishment!
|< Prev||Next >|
Sugary drinks tied to kidney stone risk
22 May 2013 | 3:08 pm
By Kerry Grens NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Adults who drink at least one sugar-sweetened drink a day are slightly more likely to develop kidney stones than people who rarely imbibe them, according to a new study. While the recommendation for kidney stone prevention has been to drink a lot of fluids, the study suggests that it's not just the amount of fluid but the type of drink that also matters. Dr. Gary Curhan, the senior author of the study, said patients often ask for dietary advice to help prevent kidney stones. ...
Tech Giant SAP Recruiting Autistic Workers
22 May 2013 | 2:57 pm
Autism advocates are praising a German software company for its plan to hire people with autism as software testers, programmers and data quality assurance specialists.
Discover the Secret of the 17-Year Cicada, But It Won t Get You Tenure
22 May 2013 | 2:40 pm
Athletics-Kenyan runner Mary Keitany expecting second child
22 May 2013 | 2:36 pm
NAIROBI, May 22 (Reuters) - Twice London marathon champion Mary Keitany will not compete this year because she is expecting her second child, a close friend of the Kenyan runner said on Wednesday. Keitany, 31, won the London Marathon in 2011 and 2012 but did not defend the title last month. In her absence compatriot Prisca Jeptoo finished first. "Mary will be away from athletics this year due to pregnancy. That's why she missed London," the friend told Reuters. ...
More patients than docs report skin surgery problems
22 May 2013 | 2:34 pm
By Genevra Pittman NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - More than one quarter of people being treated for non-melanoma skin cancer in their doctor's office reported some type of complication after surgery, in a new study. About half of those complications were medical problems related to the cancer-removing procedure, including pain, infections and slow wound healing. But just 3 percent of doctors noted a complication in the same patients' medical records, researchers reported this week in JAMA Internal Medicine. ...
‘Club Drug’ Ketamine Lifts Depression in Hours
22 May 2013 | 2:00 pm
The largest study to date confirms that ketamine — a “club drug” that is also legally used as an anesthetic — could be a quick and effective way to relieve depression.
Thrifty Merrimack developing new cancer drugs at lower cost
22 May 2013 | 1:59 pm
By Bill Berkrot NEW YORK (Reuters) - Little known biotechnology company Merrimack Pharmaceuticals Inc has quietly built a large pipeline of experimental cancer treatments that it aims to deliver at a fraction of the cost spent by larger rivals. That could translate into lower-cost treatments for large unmet needs, such as pancreatic cancer, at precisely the time when pressure is mounting to reduce runaway healthcare spending. ...
Yoga, Meditation Benefit Both Brain and Body
22 May 2013 | 1:29 pm
Reported by Dr. Katie Guttenberg for ABC News: Though the practices of yoga and meditation have their roots in ancient cultures, they’ve both become modern day movements. More than 20 million Americans meditate regularly, according to the 2007 National Health Interview Survey. More than 13...
Los Angeles voters approve limiting medical marijuana shops
22 May 2013 | 1:28 pm
By Alex Dobuzinskis LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles, which has more storefront medical marijuana shops than any other U.S. city, will close hundreds of the dispensaries and hike taxes on those that will be allowed to remain under a ballot measure approved by a wide margin of voters. Nearly 63 percent of voters supported Proposition D, which will cap the number of medical pot dispensaries at 135, compared with 37 percent opposed, according to preliminary results released on Wednesday, the day after the vote. ...
Montreal tells 1.3 million residents to boil their drinking water
22 May 2013 | 1:16 pm
(Reuters) - Montreal, Canada's second-largest city, has asked 1.3 million people to boil their drinking water after a problem at one of the city's water treatment facilities. The advisory, posted on the city's website on Wednesday, covers much of the south and east of the city of 1.65 million. The order followed reports of brown-tinged water in parts of the city, and Montreal Fire Department division chief Gordon Routley told CTV News that the advisory was likely to be in effect for at least 24 hours. ...
- Don't miss the next secular bull market
- Railroads to new oil boom
- Another way to invest in emerging markets
- An Unexpected Beneficiary of a Recovering Housing Market
- Global Currency War: Unique Opportunities in The Pacific Theater
- Israel develops the next generation operating room
- Turmoil in Venezuela Could Spell Opportunity for You
- The way to be healthy, happy, and full of energy that works
- Turning points coming soon, market action set to heat up, lots of trading opportunities ahead
- Male Logic ...